Memos / Notes on Transactions

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Jan 24 15:01:46 EST 2014

Hi,

On Fri, January 24, 2014 10:52 am, M J Richards wrote:
> I am evaluating Gnucash as a potential replacement for my old Microsoft
> Money. I was surprised to see that there are no notes /memos on
> transations
> even though they are allowed for in QIF files, and are exported from
> money.

Sure there are!

Transaction Notes (which would get printed onto a Check Memo) exist but
are only visible in double-line mode:

 View -> Double Line Mode

Each Split also has a memo field which you can see if you split-expand the
transaction (click on the Split button, or select AutoSplit or Journal
mode when viewing the register).

> I have made great use of the notes to determine what has been purchased
> from
> a supplier.  When I worked as a ledger clerk , many years ago, each entry
> had to be accompanied by a description as well as the supplier  from whom
> we
> purchased items.

Yep.  GnuCash supports this in multiple ways.

> IS there any way of adding and importing notes for individual transaction?

Yep.  See above.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745