Advanced Portfolio Report

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Fri Jan 24 22:52:01 EST 2014

(If you reply to a digest, please fix the subject of the reply.)

--On January 25, 2014 11:25:48 AM +1100 Chris Good
<chris.good at ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> Does anyone have a suggestion for what dates you should make sure you
> have market prices for, when you buy an investment?
> I recently bought a 2nd lot of shares for a particular stock and the
> Advanced Portfolio report stopped showing a value for all the cost
> related fields for that stock:
> Basis, Realized Gain, Unrealized Gain, Total Gain & Total Return. It
> just shows the currency symbol $ in these fields.

That shouldn't happen no matter what prices you do or don't have in the
price data base.  If you can create an example that shows this behavior
which you can share with me that would be great.

> Changing the report option: Basis calculation method from Average to
> FIFO fixed the problem, & I suppose that makes more sense anyway for
> calculating Unrealized gain, but I'd like to know what dates I should
> have set up market prices for anyway (if that is relevant ...)

I also don't understand how changing the bais method could fix the
problem.

> I have manually added market prices for the exact dates I entered for
> both buy transactions, but that did not help. Maybe there is a
> timezone issue with the report.

That probably won't affect the report, depending on the date you put
into the report's options.  The price DB entry that is used is either
the one closest to the date of the report or the most recent one.  The
prices around the time of existing transactions aren't used, the report
gets those prices from the transactions themselves.

> Changing option 'Price source setting' doesn't seem to have any
> effect for me.
> Also changing 'Set preference for price list data' doesn't seem to
> have any effect.

Depending on what prices you have in the DB, these settings may have
little effect.  Do any of the stocks in your report have an * and a
footnote about transaction prices?  If you turn off the preference for
price list data I would expect one or more stars to show up in the
report.

             Mike