How to deal with Credit Card payments and dates

xjordanx ben at jordandsp.com
Sat Jan 25 19:29:16 EST 2014

Hi everyone,

I am still a bit of a novice - so please forgive the asinine question.

The problem I have is this - I have data entered into my checking account
which is downloaded from CSV files. Included in this data are a series of
credit card payments from my checking account to a credit card account.

I then enter in all the items from my credit card statements, including
payments and interest, so that I can reconcile the account.

The problem is that the payments going out of the checking account do not
appear right away in the credit card account, and gnucash is treating them
completely exclusively - so now it looks like I have been making double
payments in the checking account.

Do I have to manually delete one of each? I would like gnucash to be smart
enough to allow me to say the outgoing transaction from the checking account
is the incoming payment on the credit card for the same amount 2-days later
or whatever.

Or do I have to create an account called "limbo" and have all the payments
go through it?

Thanks for any tips!