How to share data across multiple machines

Bob Brush bobbrush3 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 08:33:43 EST 2014

If you have a consistent connection to the internet the lock file will sync so fast that it won't usually be a problem, keep an eye on the bottom left corner when gnucash starts, it will show the modification time, a helpful thing if you want to make sure you are using the most recent version.
The easiest way to cause a Dropbox problem is to disconnect from the internet then start gnucash, the remote location could then start gnucash not knowing, and assuming that Dropbox being synced everything is good.  Gnucash is well behaved, one problem that happens from time to time is leaving work with gnucash open, because autosave is set, you would expect it to overwrite the file every so often.  At home you are warned by the lock file, but select open anyway, and would expect a Dropbox battle, but the autosave is smart, it only writes if there are changes, so it can really just sit there all weekend, no damage :)  The safe thing to do when you find Gnucash open like this when you return to work is to reopen, checking that it's the latest version.

Bob