Data file too large

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sun Jul 6 14:21:09 EDT 2014

Ian K wrote:

>For the same reason as the OP, because data loading is getting slow and will
>only get slower.
>I'm using a top-spec new PC but with 3.5 years of data (1.2MB compressed
>file) things are still slowing down (particularly on Windows).

Try time vs space? After all, these days space is relatively cheap. Nor
is this sort of data likely to have been highly compressible, at least
not by general purpose* compression methods << how compressible data is
depends on its entropy >>

At least as an experiment, if you can, try uncompressed data.

Michael D Novack

* A "custom compress" is another kettle of fish, can achieve much higher
compression ratios by using "meta knowledge" about the data. These used
to be my line of country, but I doubt the gnucash developers wrote a
compression routine specific to (and able to take advantages of) gnucash
data.