Advance payment for multiple invoices for multiple accounts

David Gillam dave at davegillam.org
Fri Jul 11 10:09:29 EDT 2014

Yes.  I seem to recall a fairly convoluted way to do this (to my mind, anyway).  I believe this is why I chose to use the $0 invoice method to hold the credit.  It's recorded in a way that ties it to a specific client, so I can deposit the check, and it avoids confusing my feeble accounting-brain.

If memory serves, using a separate (negative) asset account, or what another responder called a "suspense" account, you would need to open the "suspense" account, and debit the account by the check amount.  Then on the invoice, you would choose the "suspense" account as the "transfer" account.  The confusing thing to me about this method, is how to get the amount paid to go properly into your banking account.

Hence my "simpler" method.  :-)

Cheers!

David
Gillam Data Services, Inc. - Computer Training & Support
dave at davegillam.com | www.davegillam.com | 972-383-9391