New User Question

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Jul 16 08:42:17 EDT 2014

Ed Moorhead wrote:

>When I click on the triangle on the left it opens sub-accounts, but when double click one of those it opens a register dated today not showing all the previous expenses that I have input.

OK, at least the ACCOUNTS are now appearing. That WAS your initial
question (not seeing the accounts). Your new question is along the lines
of "I entered some transactions but am not seeing them in one of the
accounts where they should appear" (this is "double entry" bookkeeping
so each transaction is at least two accounts). As I understand you,
these transactions were expenditures so while one side of the
transaction (the debit side) would be an expense account the other side
(the credit side) would be either an asset account (you paid by cash,
check, or debit card) or a liability account (you paid by credit card,
or possibly still owe the amount on a merchant account).

1) WHERE (in what account) did you enter these transactions? For
example, let's suppose that these were all paid by check. Did you enter
the transactions working from that account? Do they appear there?

2) If so, is there anything in the accounts named "Imbalance" or
"Orphan". That could be the result of your not having specified the
account for the OTHER side of the transaction correctly. A brand new
user might, for example, thought that it was the "description" field
where that was to be specified.

Michael