making a payment to an invoice from Accounts Receivable

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu Jul 17 10:19:43 EDT 2014

On Thu 17 July 14 08:03:51 you wrote:
> I have an open invoice.  I select "Pay Invoice" and see, in the transfer
> account window, my asset and liability accounts listed.  I believe I can
> select a liability account instead of my normal "Business Checking asset
> account".  That would "credit" the liability account--making you owe that
> amount, effectively.  At some point, you should then be able to write a
> check on your asset account to pay off the liability.
>
> Right?

Hi Dave,

you are absolutely correct.  I've just done a fake payment on an outstanding
invoice, and you can indeed make the payment go to a liability account.  I
thought that there was less choice of destination account in the process
payment box.

However, on the assumption that the OP is being given cheques or similar, then
his bank balance is likely going to be involved too.  IMHO, it is actually the
time of creation of the invoice (rather than process payment) where the
liability account would feature - I think that that is what I was thinking of
for the limited choice of accounts and GC forcing income over other types (in
2.4.x)  apologies for not thinking clearly earlier today.

Maf.