64 bit

m shires mshires.wcc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 11:34:28 EDT 2014

I am a new user, sort of.  I installed the program a while back (March of
2014) and tried using it.  I love the double entry accounting concept so I
can run my personal finances like a business.

But, I ended up uninstalling it because of problems.

1.  I had a 32 bit program.  I run a 64 bit Windows but can't find the
GnuCash 64 bit version.  Can someone explain this?

2.  At some point in setting things up it presented a very confusing
request to set up a database bin location.  After fumbling through this
confusion, I set up a database file location approved by GnuCash (or
acknowledege by it, anyway), using my name; but whenever I try to launch
the program I get a "cannot find bin....." error message.

3.  I uninstalled the program and reinstalled it, and upon launch got the
same message!  So I went to my computer directory and deleted the GnuCash
Bin files, then uninstalled it again.

Before I reinstall and start a "do-over", I would like to understand what
is going on, why the databases are not integrated into the program, and why
there is not a 64 bit version, and what all this stuff about bin files is.

Thanks!