64 bit

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Jul 25 09:05:21 EDT 2014

At Fri, 25 Jul 2014 07:32:28 -0500 David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/24/2014 11:24 PM, Buddha Buck wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 12:12 AM, David Carlson
> > <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com <mailto:david.carlson.417 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     >>>> Visual Studio 2013 is free.
> >     >>> of course, you THEN need a windows box/vm on which to run it. :)
> >     >>>
> >     >>>
> >     >> I assume that you are suggesting running 64 bit windows in a
> >     virtual
> >     >> machine on your 64 bit Linux OS host, right? :)
> >     > No, i was just saying that even if you had af ree Visual Studio, it
> >     > won't do you any good without a windoze system.
> >     >

> >     I think it is only free if you are a student.  Is that the same as
> >     free
> >     as in free beer?  ;)
> >

> > Visual Studio 2013 Express is free-as-in-beer, and not just for students.
> I only needed to read up to the third sentence of the description of
> Visual Studio 2013 to see that it is for hobbyists like me :) and not a
> serious development package for professional products.  How else could
> Microsoft justify a $13,299 price tag (per user) for the full product?

Actually, Microsoft's $13,299 price tag is rather excessive (IMHO).

I mean, the whole GNU Toolchain (GCC, binutils, autotools, etc.) is *free* and
is used as a 'serious development package for professional products'.  Cygwin
appears to have a 64-bit incarnation and is a free download (this suggests
that there should be a 64-bit version of mingw as well, which should allow
cross-building 64-bit MS-Windows applications on a (64-bit) Linux system).

> David C

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933