Accounts structure for a worker cooperative (read: partnership) with expense accounts

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 10:27:02 EDT 2014

I am not an accountant. I have written accounting software (not GnuCash),
so I have some domain knowledge, but I am not an accountant. As such, my
first bit of advice is to talk to an accountant who is competent in your
jurisdiction, since local laws and practices may change how this should be
handled.

Given that, here's my advice.

It is reasonable to set up an equity account for each member of a
partnership, especially if each member can take money out ("draw") of the
business based on their equity. If Benjamin can take $1000 out of the
business to pay his personal rent, then Benjamin's equity is going to be
different than Stefan or Michele's equity. So setting up separate accounts
would make sense.

Traditional accounting practice is to use income/expense accounts to track
income and expense over a certain time frame, then at the end of the
accounting period to "close" those accounts, clearing their balances into
an equity account (Equity:Retained Earnings), and then distributing those
retained earnings to the equity partners, as appropriate. So if, in 2013,
your co-op made $38000 in sales and paid $26000 in rent and supplies, you
would debit your income accounts by 38000 (total), credit your expense
accounts by 26000, and credit your retained earnings account by 12000. Then
you would debit your retained earnings by 12000, and credit each of your
personal equity accounts by 4000 each.

Income and expenses are already (sort of) sub-accounts of equity, as equity
represents the value of the business owned by the owners, and income and
expenses represent increases and decreases in equity. So right away, seeing
"Assets:Current Assets:Expenses_Benjamin" is unsettling to me.

I would be more tempted to create an "Assets:Checking:Benjamin"
sub-account, and at the beginning of the month debit it by budget amount
crediting "Assets:Checking". A sale would debit "Assets:Checking", and
Benjamin buying a business-related supply would credit
"Assets:Checking:Benjamin". I believe it can be set up so that the register
or reports for Assets:Checking will include the transactions in the
sub-accounts, so it can be reconciled against the bank.  If you go
over-budget, it would show up as a negative balance for your sub-account.

At least, that's how I would try to set it up. I don't know if that will
fully work, but it seems right to me.