Slow loading of Gnucash

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 12 11:44:34 EDT 2014

Hi,

"Scumbuster" <scumbuster at comcast.net> writes:

> Hi all
>
> I am by no means a "power user" of Gnucash, so forgive the question -
>
> Lately I have noticed it takes much longer for the program to start up. Like
> a couple minutes.  It used to load very quickly.
>
> The PC is running fine, all else runs fine.  Is there anything I can do to
> speed up the initial load?

Reduce the amount of data it has to load?

GnuCash currently loads all data into RAM at startup, so the more data
you have the more it has to load.  You can speedup the load by having
more RAM available, or faster disk I/O, or reducing your data size.

Without knowing how you are using GnuCash it's hard to say what you
should do.  But yes, it *will* slow down over time.

Personally, I leave GnuCash open for extended periods of time so rarely
see the startup hit.