Importing and modifying multiple currency transactions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 12 11:50:28 EDT 2014

Hi,

Tony Marshall <tony at marshall.name> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I understand the limitations in importing QIF files with transactions
> in mulitple currencies into GNUCash. My problem is correcting the
> transactions once they are imported. Having set up GNUCash to use
> trading accounts, the program seems to resist any attempt to modify
> the exchange rate of a transfer between two accounts with different
> currencies.
>
> Try the following:
> 1) Import this QIF file, having one transaction that transfers 10 GBP
> from the "Current GBP" account to the "Current EUR" account. Set m-d-y
> as the date format, and choose GBP as the currency when importing.
>
> !Type:Bank
> D6/ 3'14
> U1,000.00
> T1,000.00
> CX
> POpening Balance
> L[Current GBP]
> ^
> D6/ 4'14
> U-10.00
> T-10.00
> PTony
> MMemo 1
> L[Current EUR]
> ^

QIF (or at least the GnuCash QIF importer) does not support
multi-currency QIF transactions.  You need to split your QIF file into
individual currencies and import them separately.

> 2) After importing the file, set the Current EUR account's currency to
> EUR. GNUCash creates the currency trading accounts, setting the
> exchange rate to 1.
>
> 3) In the Current GBP account transaction register, there is the
> following split transaction:
>
> Account              Deposit    Withdrawl
> Current EUR          10.00
> Trading:CURRENCY:GBP 10.00
> Current GBP                      10.00
> Trading:CURRENCY:EUR            €10
>
> 4) Now try to change the transaction so that the GBPEUR exchange rate
> is 1.5, i.e. GBP 10 buys EUR 15. I have tried many different ways and
> none has been successful. It's probably not worth giving an example,
> because every time I try it something different happens. Suffice to
> say that I can't fathom its logic.

Check the currency of the actual underlying accounts?

> I have tried entering another transaction with the same transaction
> date and correct exchange rate. However, GNUCash automatically copies
> the transaction that is already in the register, and I am left in the
> same situation of trying to modify it.
>
> I hope someone can help me with this problem, as it is the only
> impediment to switching from Quicken to GNUCash.

Try entering the transactions by hand first to play with it before you
load your data in.  Then you'll see what it is supposed to look like.