Annual Investment Allowance

farleykj farleykj at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 22:00:15 EDT 2014

It's apparently a tax consideration in the UK. From the official description:

"The AIA is effectively a 100% first-year allowance for business expenditure
on almost all plant or machinery (apart from cars) capped at £25,000 a year.
It is available to businesses regardless or their size or legal form. The
current AIA annual amount applies to expenditure incurred on or after 1
April 2012(for CT purposes) or 6 April 2012 (for IT purposes). (Between1/ 6
April 2008 and 31 March/5 April 2010 the AIA annual amount was £50,000.
Between 1/6 April 2010 and 31 March /5 April 2012 the AIA annual amount was
£100,000)"

Given the dates, this description, or at least the one I found, hasn't been
updated for current tax years.

As for the question posed originally, I would think that designation of the
account this type of transaction refers to is entirely up to you. Given that
Gnucash is used worldwide, and tax laws and business practices vary wildly
from country to country, it's up to the user to designate accounts and their
tax status, etc. I only use the program for personal finances, but that's
what I've had to do to get accurate tax-related reports and such.

-----
Ken Farley