Downloading Stock Prices - Finance::Quote Problems

Tim Johnson timnjane at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Jun 17 17:19:07 EDT 2014

Hi,

I am a very new Linux user who is seriously looking at moving away from
Windows XP as my trusty PC has developed a recent warning saying I do
not have a genuine version of Windows despite having used it for years
(with a genuine version - I've got the CD, but it won't allow me to
activate it!).  I have never used command line systems in 30 years of PC
work, and I am pretty good GUI software user, so I'm on scary new ground
here, but I love the Linux concept.

I am looking at alternatives for various key Windows packages to manage
a complete migration to Linux including MS Money, and GnuCash looks to
be the ship's biscuit for that one.

I am struggling to get stock prices into an investment account though,
as it tells me I don't have Finance::Quote installed properly.  Well, I
think I do, but the version installed by Synaptics on my PCLinuxOS
system (perl-Finance-Quote) seems to be only at version 1.17.  I've
tried to force a more recent version, but that doesn't work.

I've read and re-read the GnuCash manual but can't see where I've gone
wrong.  It's not the end of the world if I have to update prices
manually with this version of Linux, but if the functionality is there,
I would really like to be able to use it.

Thanks in anticipation for any advice.

TimJ

---