Downloading Stock Prices - Finance::Quote Problems

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Tue Jun 24 11:32:39 EDT 2014

On 23 June 2014 at 14:07, Tim Johnson said:

> Hi Erik,
>
> Definitely getting there!
>
> I installed using Synaptic "openssl" and "libopenssl-dev" (the other
> options you gave were not in the package list - I hope that's OK).
>
> I then ran cpan Test::Inter, and finally gnc-fq-update.
>
> The dialog box in GnuCash then showed that Finance::Quote appeared to be
> installed properly, BUT I can't get quotes out yet.  I tries various
> combinations of ISIN and SEDOL codes for the stocks (see below), with
> variations of data sources, but still drew a blank (see below).  If I open
> the Yahoo Finance webpage, and type in any of the four ISIN codes in the
> search box at the top, it finds the correct stock with price and
> performance data so some of this is correct.

I couldn't locate any example stock codes in your voluminous output.

You appear to be posting from the UK. Are you looking for LSE-listed
shares? If so you need to supply the correct exchange suffix. For
example, if you look up Tesco on uk.finance.yahoo.com, you will see that
the "symbol" is TSCO.L - I can get quotes for this from the source called
(in the Security Editor dialog) "Yahoo Europe". I do not find it
necessary to enter the ISIN.