Downloading Stock Prices - Finance::Quote Problems

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Fri Jun 27 06:16:10 EDT 2014

On 27 June 2014 at 8:04, Erik Colson said:

> On 27 Jun 2014, at 01:18, Richard Lindgren <rlindgren74 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ok I did the cut and paste, but something is still wrong. I have
> > attached a copy of my script.
>
> Richard,
>
> Almost. You are still missing the ending single quote. Keep in mind that
> quotes should be balanced.

He put the closing quote in on his previous try - see message with date
"Thu, 26 Jun 2014 18:43:55 -0400".

His problem is the Windows commandline parser, which is mangling the line
before Perl sees it. I get exactly the same on my (WinXP) system. Even
 perl -e'print $_'
gives the same missing-terminating-quote error.

The cure is to (a) use doublequotes around the -e command and (b) double
the doublequotes around the enclosed string. So:

perl -MFinance::Quote -e"print ""Finance::Quote::VERSION\n"""

(that's one, two and three doublequotes respectively)