Cash Flow Report Problem

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sat Mar 1 09:23:54 EST 2014

>When I started doing the non-profits, I simply "copied" my activities
>that I had done for the consulting business, read use the Cash Flow
>report to generate the P&L. But the reality of the non-profits is that
>there are no "Accrual" accounts (A/R or A/P). In other words all the
>transactions are cash based. So, until this morning I had not
>entertained the idea of going back to the built-in P&L because Cash Flow
>was working whether I had Accrual accounts or not.
>
>--Rob

Whether "cash flow" could be used that way depends on all of the cash
affecting transactions of the non-profit being "income" or "expense",
never something else. For example, a non-profit gets to choose its
policy for fixed assets and their depreciation, but whatever policy it
adopts it has to use. The ones for which I keep books have a high enough
"de minimum" that USUALLY durables purchased can be expensed immediately
but not ALWAYS and when one of those special situations arises will be
for a largish amount.

Possibly non of the non-profits for which you keep books run into this?

Also, while it is common for non-profits to sometimes choose to use
business features like A/R to track memberships (be able to produce
membership statements) it isn't REALLY accrued income for them when
invoiced. While a formal "pledge" to a non-profit can be properly
considered a receivable, a membership carries no obligation to continue
as a member.

Michael