Recording realized gains for (currency) trading accounts

Matthijs Kooijman matthijs at stdin.nl
Tue Mar 4 16:14:22 EST 2014

Hey folks,

I'm struggling with trading accounts a bit. I've enabled trading accounts and a
Trading:CURRENCY:EUR and Trading:CURRENCY:USD were created for me, so I can
send invoices in USD and get them payed in EUR.

After a few invoices, my trading accounts have accrued a balance, which is
essentially a gain due to currency value changes.

Now, part of this gain is a realized gain (AFAIU, since those invoices have
been payed) and part of it is unrealized (since those invoices are still open
so I don't know the actual gain or loss yet).

I'd like to close books for the year and include the realized part in my net
year result. How can I do that?

I thought to just transfer an amount from Trading:CURRENCY:EUR to some Income
account, but then Gnucash says "The current transaction is not balanced". When
I select "Let GnuCash add an adjusting split", it adds _another_ split to
Trading:CURRENCY:EUR without any value and moving away from the transaction
reshows the error.

Is there any way to achieve what I want? Am I perhaps wanting the wrong thing
and should I be doing things differently? Any help is appreciated.

Gr.

Matthijs