Recording realized gains for (currency) trading accounts

Matthijs Kooijman matthijs at stdin.nl
Wed Mar 5 14:51:40 EST 2014

Hi Ian,

thanks for your repsponse!

> The Trading Accounts that GnuCash creates are really internal GnuCash
> accounts that enable proper multi-currency functionality. You should not
> enter transactions manually in them or alter any existing transactions.
> You should have your own currency accounts that you have created for your
> transactions, and as you enter trannsactions in them, GnuCash will populate
> the Trading Account transactions.
Yes, I realize that that is how things work during normal transactions.

> The overall balance in the Trading Accounts reflects the gain/loss
> from the currency transactions, but that will be reflected in the
> realiased gain/loss section of the Balance Sheet.
Exactly, that is what happens now - they are shown in the balance sheet,
effectively as an asset or liability (in particular, they are _not_ part
of the retained earnings / result).

However, I want to close books and somehow record part of the
accumulated gain as an actual income, so it is recorded in 2013 and is
now longer shown on future balance sheets. Do you understand what I'm
trying to do here? Do you know how to achieve this?

Thinking now, I guess I could just add an asset, liability or perhaps
equity account "Realized gains/losses" and record a transaction between
that account and an income or expense account, to record the cumulative
realized gains and losses. If you sum this new account with the trading
accounts, you'll get the unrealized gains/losses instead. Doesn't sound
very elegant, though.

Gr.

Matthijs