Reliability of Gnu Cash software

farleykj farleykj at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 19:52:34 EST 2014

I used Quicken starting in 1996 (isn't this kind of sounding like a
testimonial at QA, Quicken Anonymous?).
I'm using these programs for exclusively personal finance tracking: bank
accounts, retirement accounts, and for me a lot of investment stuff. There
are a number of things that make GnuCash more reliable for me:
(1) It lets me set write my own quote acquisition code, so I know where
certain quotes are coming from, and am always getting valuations directly
from "the source", rather than relying on my sporadic and error-prone manual
entries.
(2) The transparency of the double-entry bookkeeping makes it pretty easy to
see when I've screwed things up, and simple to correct.
(3) If you find a bug, and report it, someone is going to address it. Often
the first people to respond to questions on this mail group are the folks
who are maintaining the program.
(4) The update cycle is continuous and thus you're always seeing
improvements and bug fixes.

Again, though, as noted by previous posters, give it a go while also using
what you use now, and make sure things match up for you before totally
abandoning the old software.

-----
Ken Farley