I updated to 2.6.1

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Mar 7 05:06:35 EST 2014

On Friday 28 February 2014 13:46:38 Dean Gibson wrote:
> On Thursday 27 February 2014 20:06:11 Dean Gibson wrote:
>

> Dean #1: Unless I did something wrong, I find the new GUI awful (ugly,
> jerky, and slow), to the point that I went back to 2.4.15, and found
> that it now had the new GUI! I found that the installation of 2.6.1
> had added .gtkrc-2.0 to my home (Windows) directory, and deleted it,
> so I'm back to a nice, smooth, fast GUI.
>

> Geert replied: That's a surprising statement! I wish I knew what the
> contents of the .gtkrc-2.0 file was before you deleted it. That may
> have given us a good hint on another possible cause of UI slowness
> experienced by several users on Windows.
>

> New: I'm running Windows 8 (64-bit) SP1 on a Dell XPS 8100, 7 CPUs @
> 2.8GHz, 8GB RAM.
>
> Geert replied: But what is even more odd is that GnuCash does not
> install a .gtkrc-2.0 file by itself that I'm aware of. It is normally
> created only by running the theme selection tool. In fact I even tried
> to reinstall gnucash 2.6.1 on my Windows XP test system after
> removing an empty .gktrc-2.0 file. It didn't return automatically.
>

> New: Yes, when the default theme was "ugly, jerky, and slow", I tried
> the theme selection tool, but after several trials, the themes
> changed, but I couldn't find a satisfactory one.  So that's how
> .gtkrc-2.0 was created, but it was slow before I tinkered with the
> themes.

That means the slowness is probably not caused by a particular theme :(

Only some real profiling will give us a decent insight in this.

> Dean #1: I see that there's a way to set the GUI in 2.6.1, but there
> must be at least 50 themes. I just want the old one, if possible. If
> not possible, I'll stay with 2.4.15.
>

> Geert replied: That tool was already available in GnuCash 2.4. It's
> not new.
>

> New: So, I noticed when I went back.  Installs and uninstalls are
> pretty quick, and I don't mind at all running some tests for you. I
> can reinstall 2.6.1, tinker w/ the themes, and then capture
> .gtkrc-2.0 if you like, now that I know how to undo all the "damage".
>  However, I didn't leave .gtkrc-2.0 in place for more than a couple
> seconds with 2.4.15, so I don't know if it was slow (I can find out).

I consider this unlikely. Nothing changed between 2.4.x and 2.6.x regarding themes. Some
support libraries did. But without some profiling this is just looking for a needle in a haystack.

Geert