Investment account export then import

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 13 11:01:52 EDT 2014

Hi,

Elwood <elwoodblues at bellsouth.net> writes:

> Am I asking about a feature no one uses here?

Probably, yes..  People tend to enter transactions in near-real-time,
not historical transactions.  For historical transactions there are the
importers.

>> On Mar 10, 2014, at 5:12 PM, Elwood <elwoodblues at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>
>> I see there is transaction export and import both in CSV
>> format. However, it looks like the format is not the same (at least
>> when doing transaction from an investment account). I noticed there
>> are several conversion utilities (QIF, OXF, CSV) available for
>> download from various places online, but it's hard to tell which of
>> the free ones will actually help with trying to import Gnucash
>> formatted investment transactions back in.
>>
>> What I'm really trying to accomplish is duplicate a series of
>> investment transactions from one college savings account to two
>> others.  In one case, the real world transactions are identical for
>> two accounts and at least similar for the third. (For the US
>> audience, think 529 plans for three kids, one with a later HS
>> graduation date. )
>>
>> Anything I should be looking at or doing differently?

I'd ask why you want to enter in all the previous history as opposed to
just a "starting balance".

If you do need your transactions entered you could either generate a QIF
file and import it or you could generate an SX and have it generate all
your transactions for you.