Multiple category entries

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sun Mar 16 17:17:05 EDT 2014

David Therkelsen wrote:

>I am a newbie with respect to accounting software, although once, very long
>ago (more than 2 decades) I earned a minor degree in accounting.  Sigh.

Apparently you haven't used your accounting learning since school.

>In a business I have started, I have purchased a computer at a cost of $500.
>I have credited my 'Checking Account' asset for that amount, lessening its
>value by $500.  I have debited an asset account called 'Equipment Assets',
>increasing its value by $500.  So far, so good.
>
>I also need to show the computer purchase as an expense of $500.  I have
>debited an expense account called 'Computer' for this amount.  In the
>'Transfer' column of this transaction, my first response was to debit the
>same 'Equipment Assets' account as above, but of course that results in two
>$500 dollar entries to that account, making it look as though I made two
>purchases and have $1000 in assets.
>
>Looking at the language, it seems that I need to credit an expense account
>to balance this transaction, but that doesn't make sense.
>
>Certainly I'm making a bad assumption in what I have done here, but I don't
>know what it is.
>
>Please help an old guy.

IF you are entering the computer as a "fixed asset" then its cost isn't
an expense. How does it eventually become an expense? That happens when
you enter its depreciation. First step is to determine/decide what your
policy for depreciating fixed assets will be (and what durable things
purchased will be immediately "expensed" rather than treated as a fixed
asset because below the "de minimis" amount you have for fixed assets in
your policy. Note that depending on what sort of entity the books are
being kept, some government authority may be specifying that policy for you.

But OK, to refresh your memory, let's take for example a policy "fixed
assets will be depreciated over four years" and that you have a "de
minimis" amount of $100 (so if you buy a steel ruler,durable, expected
useful life decades, you immediately make this an "office supplies"
expense, not a fixed asset). At the end of the year, you enter the
transactions to record depreciation and in the case of this computer
that would be a debit of $125 to computer expense and a credit of $125
to computer  with a description "depreciation for 2014".

Remember now?

Michael D Novack