Starting Balance for reconciliation has changed

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 02:57:01 EDT 2014

On 18 Mar 2014, at 00:58, David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/17/2014 2:27 PM, Michael Hendry wrote:
>> On 17 Mar 2014, at 17:58, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
>>
>>> Michael Hendry <hendry.michael at gmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> Most likely you told GnuCash to ignore this warning by clicking the
>>> "don't ask again" button.  You can (and should) reset this by running
>>> the Actions -> Reset Warnings function.  Then remember to be careful
>>> with that checkbox in the future :)
>> Done!
>>
>> Interestingly, it’s the only warning that had been switched off, and I have no recollection of doing so.
>>
>> Thanks.

>>> -derek
>>>
>>> --
>>>      Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>>>      Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>>>      warlord at MIT.EDU                        PGP key available

> I have had that happen to me as well.  I suspect that in earlier
> releases that particular warning is constructed in such a way that the
> default action is to clear the warning if the user is careless and
> misses the "change split" box when clicking.

The warning is certainly clear now.

>  Now is should be possible
> to select "Remember and don't ask me again this session" if we want to
> change several transactions.

It should very rarely be necessary to change a reconciled transaction, and I'm happy to be warned every time I attempt it. Although I can see the advantage of allowing this-session-only suspension of warnings, I wouldn’t want scarce developer-time to be used on it.

Michael