Assets double entry not working correctly

Dorothy Freeman dfreeman at pacbell.net
Thu Mar 20 14:49:47 EDT 2014

I am going through the help tutorial.  I have entered checking
opening balance $1000 with double entry to Equity opening balance,
savings opening balance of $1000 with double entry to Equity opening
balance, and credit card starting balance of $500 with double entry
to equity opening balance.

Problem:  equity balance registers the savings and checking balances
as negative entries instead of positive entries.  The equity balance
is ($2500.00) instead of the $1500 that it should be.  $2000 - $500 = $1500

I have updated to the latest release without a change.
tutorial link below
http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/txns-puttoget1.html#txns-puttoget-open2

thanks
daf