Trying Gnucash to replace Quickbooks

gnucash at ware4.com gnucash at ware4.com
Thu Mar 20 17:34:19 EDT 2014

Hello all,

This is Mike, the QB 2011 user attempting to migrate to Gnucash. I've taken
your suggestions and abandoned the idea of converting the QB files and have
started with a blank slate, entering Opening Balances as of 1/1/2014 and
downloading all the transactions from the bank. Line by line I will assign
the accounts and create splits when necessary, creating further accounts as
needed.

I think I've run into a show-stopper(?) I'm trying to split the first
deposit from several renters and found that there is no place to edit the
"deposit ticket," entering the customer, payment method (check, money order,
cashiers' check, etc.) and check #. In Quickbooks a deposit dialogue opens
with a small spreadsheet to record Received From, From Account (an income
account), Memo, Chk No., Pmt Method and Amount. I cannot find the same
functionality within Gnucash - the ledger only seems to provide Memo fields
when split.

Am I missing something? I require well-detailed deposits to track income.

Mike