Assets double entry not working correctly

Dorothy Freeman dfreeman at pacbell.net
Fri Mar 21 03:06:59 EDT 2014

At 10:07 PM 3/20/2014, David Carlson wrote:
>On 3/20/2014 1:49 PM, Dorothy Freeman wrote:
> > I am going through the help tutorial.  I have entered checking opening
> > balance $1000 with double entry to Equity opening balance, savings
> > opening balance of $1000 with double entry to Equity opening balance,
> > and credit card starting balance of $500 with double entry to equity
> > opening balance.
> >
> > Problem:  equity balance registers the savings and checking balances
> > as negative entries instead of positive entries.  The equity balance
> > is ($2500.00) instead of the $1500 that it should be.  $2000 - $500 =
> > $1500
> >
> > I have updated to the latest release without a change.
> > tutorial link below
> >
> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/txns-puttoget1.html#txns-puttoget-open2
> >

> > thanks
> > daf

>Read the part about the credit card being a liability again.  If you
>reverse the signs on that entry you should get the results that you are
>expecting.
>
>Good Luck.
>
>David C

Thanks for your reply David
I removed the credit card entry entirely and the Equity: starting
balances are still showing negative values.  The starting balance
entries in the savings and checking account are both positive.  These
are the only entries I have made as I am following the tutorial which
shows the Equity starting balance as a positive number.  Can I attach
files to this email list entry?  If so I can send an image of what I see.
Dorothy