How to file expense sheets I send to my employer

allamistakeo18 at mac.com allamistakeo18 at mac.com
Sat Mar 22 11:55:59 EDT 2014

Dag Geert,

Thanks for your prompt input. Your suggested approach already looks better than mine, but still a bit far fetched, because it involves treating my employer as an employee in GnuCash. This is counter-intuitive to me: this “expense voucher” feature is listed under the menu “Employee,” so I would expect it to be used in the other direction, for when I have to pay someone who sent me an expense voucher. This is why I hadn’t even tried this feature yet. From intuition, the menu “Customer” and its “invoices" were the closest I could find to what I wanted: my employer is a bit like a customer who ends up paying me, and not the reverse.

Nevertheless, I have given the expense voucher a try, and while it seems it could do the job for expenses, I don’t see how to enter night-out allowances, since each line in the expense voucher has to be written against an expense account. But night-out allowances are not expenses. The only workaround I could think of would be to enter a transfer from an income account to an arbitrary expense account. This seems like a counter-intuitive hack.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Thomas