How to file expense sheets I send to my employer

allamistakeo18 at mac.com allamistakeo18 at mac.com
Sat Mar 22 15:31:27 EDT 2014

Hi Geert,

On 22 Mar 2014, at 18:01, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:

> There is one caveat here: the invoice code will only ask for one conversion rate per foreign currency. So if your employer uses different conversion rates for different expenses in the same foreign currency, you won't be able to reflect this in GnuCash.

It is the case that my employer does not systematically use the same exchange rate for all foreign currency expenses in the same invoice, so I realise now that I cannot use the invoice feature to book my expense claims.

> The only workaround I see for this would be to only enter one entry per currency on your invoice. Each entry would be the sum of all expenses in the currency. The exchange rate to use would then have to be calculated from the total in foreign currency and the total in your employer's currency.

This workaround would be unacceptably complicated, because it would require too many manual computations, which are a source of error.

> Or skip the invoice stuff altogether and just enter the relevant transactions directly into the proper registers. In that case you can control everything.

I have now started doing this, and for the moment it seems to make sense. Problem solved.

Thanks for your help.

Thomas