Registry Entry math error

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri May 2 17:16:17 EDT 2014

Just a suggestion (for this and all like "math error" complaints)

It would possibly be of some help if along with describing your problem
you tell us either:

1) I used to keep books the old fashioned way and so have some
experience finding errors.
2) This (gnucash) is my first experience with double entry bookkeeping.
3) I've used other bookkeeping software but am new to gnucash.
4) I am experienced with gnucash

It's just that knowing which can save time deciding WHAT SORT of error
to look for first.

While "autoposting" software like gnucash eliminates the most common
source of bookkeeping errors (those from the "posting" process) it
cannot eliminate the sort of errors caused by entering wrong numbers or
right numbers but in wrong account.

Every time I prepare the quarterly reports and reconcile against the
bank statements (old fashioned sense of "reconcile") I often discover an
error or two to clean up. Rare that there is none. And I am pretty
experienced, both with gnucash, other accounting software, and of course
the old fashioned way (since computerized accounting didn't exist when I
first learned bookkeeping). It is always an error that I made, never one
in the computer program doing arithmetic. There are "tricks" and "rules
of thumb" any experienced bookkeeper knows to relate the amount of the
discrepancy to what might be the cause**.

Michael D Novack

** Though annoyingly, because forced to use "whole dollar reporting"
while filling out the 990-EZ, I recently sent an hour or two tracking
down a $24 discrepancy (the actual item missed was $25).