Best way to manage utilities

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon May 5 08:46:38 EDT 2014

Alberto Dante wrote:

> Thanks Michael,
> Yes I know what inventory systems do: I looked at many ERP programs,
> but they are too complicate for my small needs.
> Instead, GC has already some business features (customer, vendor,
> employee), so I have thought it would be easier to make some changes
> to it.

Alberto,

    We might of course be having some language difficulties. I was NOT
suggesting that you use an inventory system. I was just trying to point
out that there were a lot of things we might be wanting to keep track of
besides MONEY. What an accounting system does, what it is supposed to
do, is keep track of money, not other things. You are expecting gnucash
to perhaps do things OTHER than what an accounting system is designed to
do. I chose "inventory" as an example because an inventory system (in a
business environment) would have a TIE to the accounting system, whether
an automated tie or not depending on how well the two systems,
"inventory" and "accounting" were connected.

    So yes of course, just as in the case of a proposed inventory system
that would tie to gnucash, there could be one that would do what you
want, one that would do "project" accounting or "time" accounting (for
those businesses that so "billable hours") or "commissions" (for those
businesses whose sales people work on commission), etc. But ALL of these
would be in effect separate projects needing their own development
teams. WHY? Because in all likelihood, even if particularly friendly to
gnucash (primarily intended to work with gnucash) it would be foolish if
these systems did not make provision to connect to other popular
accounting systems.

Michael D Novack

PS: That you might have seen these with other (commercial) accounting
software may have confused you to the extent you saw them as "part of"
it. Many vendors of commercial accounting packages may offer for
purchase add ons like a "point of sales" package that connects to their
"inventory" package" and both their "accounting "package" (and maybe
"tax preparation" packages for some of the more popular jurisdictions).
Being commercial vendors, they have no interest in making these optional
packages tie in to the accounting systems of competitors. That still
does not make these add ons PART of the accounting system.