accounting for managed investment accounts

gnucash.133518b at telus.net gnucash.133518b at telus.net
Mon May 5 17:08:10 EDT 2014

On 2014-04-30 8:07 PM, John Ralls wrote:
> I think that the easiest way to deal with this is to pretend that it is a mutual fund with reinvested annual dividends. Create a fake security, make your initial purchase at C$10 per "unit", and enter a price by hand in the price editor every time you get a statement. Treat the year end tax statements as reinvested dividends. If you have separate tax treatment of capital gains and income, create appropriate income accounts and make the transactions so that whatever taxes you pay are recognized in the basis of your investment. The objective of that is so that you know when you redeem your investment in the pool you know how much of the gain you've already paid tax on.

John, I've been experimenting with your suggestion, but I'm still
unclear on some of it so I would appreciate it if you could check me on
them.

The first transaction is an opening balance entered as PRICE=10 and
BUY=LAST_KNOWN_VALUE, where LAST_KNOWN_VALUE is the account value in
dollars taken from the most recent monthly statement. That C$10 number
is totally arbitrary, correct? No advantage to choosing another value?

Subsequent contribution/redemption transactions are entered as
PRICE=LAST_KNOWN_VALUE/LAST_SHARE_BALANCE and either BUY=NEW_MONEY_IN or
SELL=MONEY_OUT.

Upon receiving a monthly statement use the price editor to assign the
price for the month end date to be STATEMENT_VALUE/CURRENT_SHARE_BALANCE.

One of the problems in entering transactions is determining
LAST_KNOWN_VALUE. Although current value appears in the status bar at
the bottom of the register view, this is only useful if one is always
careful to enter all transactions in chronological order, which doesn't
always happen. Is there any way to enable the display of a "Balance
(CAD)" column in the register?

Of course the alternative to using
PRICE=LAST_KNOWN_VALUE/LAST_SHARE_BALANCE is to use
PRICE=LAST_KNOWN_PRICE but there is no way to determine the last known
share price from within the register given that it may have changed
between transactions. This necessitates opening the price editor and
drilling down to the fund in question each time. Doable but inconvenient
and error prone. I'd hoped that I could instead enter a month end
zero-buy transaction in the register to do the value update. This
actually does work as a convenient alternative to using the price editor
because the price editor still gets updated, but it doesn't achieve the
desired result in the register. As soon as such a transaction is
entered, GnuCash reverts the price field to 1. Is there a way to achieve
a zero-buy entry that would visually retain the new share price in the
register transaction? As an aside, this style of recording balance
updates would be extremely helpful when exporting the account's
transactions for external XIRR calculations.

Your reinvested annual dividends from tax statements suggestion is what
I have really been struggling with. I think you're saying that at the
end of the year I need to add income entries for each of the year's
accumulated total of each kind of income. An entry for total realized
capital gains, another for total dividends, another for total interest,
etc. The potential problem with getting these values from the tax
statements is that such statements only report totals for taxable
income. The missing non-taxable income would mean my book doesn't
include all earned income. Is this not a problem? Will I not end up with
an imbalance somewhere?

During the course of the year I would be updating the price editor using
the month end account value. This value necessarily includes the real
world effects of internally retained realized capital gains, dividends,
interest, etc. Am I not effectively doubling all that income by
depositing it all in again at the end of the year? I'm confused between
thinking that is the case and realizing that the year's final account
balance is actually only determined by my final entry in the price editor.

I'm afraid I haven't understood "make the transactions so that whatever
taxes you pay are recognized in the basis of your investment". What does
this mean?

Carl