how do I enter a customer pre-payment

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Fri May 9 11:51:49 EDT 2014

On 05/08/2014 06:11 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 May 2014 20:49:10 Earl Marwil wrote:
>> I recently upgraded to gnucash 2.6.3 on Fedora 20. I'm having trouble
>> figuring out how to process a customer pre-payment.
>>
>> Under the Business menu item, selecting Customer->Process Payment, I
>> select the customer. No Documents (invoices) are displayed since the
>> account is current. I enter a payment amount and select a Transfer
>> Account.
>>
>> There is a warning icon in the lower left corner stating "You must
>> select at least one document or pre-payment to process." and the OK
>> button is disabled. Where do I find "pre-payment" to select?
>>
> Oops, I'm afraid you have just found a bug. I didn't consider this case
> when fixing another problem in this area.
>
> The only workaround I can imagine right now is to enter the payment as
> an ordinary transaction in you checking account and when the invoice
> appears use the "Assign as payment" menu item on that transaction.
>
> I'll look into fixing this.
>
> Geert

There are two kinds of acct rec systems: open item and balance forward.
  GC seems to be an open item type.  All payments are assigned to an
invoice.  In bal fwd, which is what we use, payments apre applied to the
balance, not to specific items, so a -pre-payment' is shown as a credit
to the account.  When a charge is applied (not necessarily an invoice),
the balance is increased.  Typically the open item type is used for
widget sellers (distributors, etc.), while the balance forward type is
used for phone, electricity service, or as in my case, alarm service.

John