GnuCash - suggestion for possible enhancement

Jim Thompson jthomps6 at gmail.com
Fri May 9 13:01:46 EDT 2014

Howdy,

Guess this might go into a queue of potential changes .. and later voting
might put this idea somewhere in a priority list (if there's also someone
interested and qualified to make such a change).  If there's a more formal
process for submitting requests, please point me in that direction.

I've migrated from Quicken to GnuCash, am generally pleased with the
conversion, and don't see myself going back to Quicken.

Here is a feature in Quicken which might be worth replicating in GC...

Both Quicken and GC support Scheduled Transactions, but Quicken has an
extra feature I've not seen in GC.  When one manually enters a transaction
which is also scheduled (and not yet automatically entered), Quicken pops
up a window and says something like, "is this the scheduled transaction for
xxxx?"  If the user replies with "yes" then Quicken knows that scheduled
event is already taken care of and it skips the scheduled one (instead of
entering it a second time).

The lack of this extra check in GC isn't a major pain - just have to be
aware of it.

Why do I manually enter a scheduled transaction?  I've scheduled the
transaction as a reminder, in case I forget to enter a monthly bill... but
these tend to be transactions where the amount can vary a little bit each
month.  If I notice the actual bill amount before the automated entry, I'll
just plug it in... otherwise I correct it later.  Quicken just helped a bit
by noticing the manual entry might be the scheduled one...

Comments?

Thanks,
Jim