question about warning on stderr

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sat May 10 21:43:17 EDT 2014

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 6:28 AM, <incoming-gnucash at sabot.com> wrote:

>    > For example, every time I run gnucash I see this emitted
>    > around startup time:
>    >
>    >    Traceback (most recent call last):
>    >      File "/usr/share/gnucash/python/init.py", line 3, in <module>
>    >        from gnucash import *
>    >    ImportError: No module named gnucash
>    >    Found Finance::Quote version 1.17
>    >
>    This one is harmless if you don't intend to use the python bindings. I
>    suspect This happens because gnucash' python modules are not not found
>    by python. If these modules are not installed in python's default
>    $PYTHONPATH, the path to them should be added instead. This suggests a
>    configuration error in the xubuntu gnucash packages or you may need to
>    install an additional package like gnucash-python or so. I don't know
>    how the Xubuntu packagers decided to set this up exactly.
>
> I fired up synaptic and (using the default ubuntu repos) it is
> offering me a place to check to load "python-gnucash" (not exactly
> gnucash-python?).  Would that install the bindings, making the error
> go away (even though I have no plan to use the bindings)?  I see the
> version offered is 1:2.4.10-1 from the ubuntu repo, which old, I'll
> probably need the 2.6.3-1 version from getdeb which is where I got the
> 2.6.3 gnucash package.

I just this evening reported this as a packaging error to the GetDeb folks.
They compiled GnuCash with the Python bindings, so it's looking for that
file, and you are correct, installing the python-gnucash package will make
those errors stop (because the file is apparently in that package).

I reported it to the GetDeb folks as a packaging error because the
python-gnucash package is not even suggested, much less required, by the
GnuCash package, so the package manager doesn't know to include it. As
Geert said, it doesn't really cause any problems, except in my case it was
randomly popping up Ubuntu's apport error reporting tool with a crash
report that it wouldn't send anyway (because it's not an official Ubuntu
package). SO it was annoying.

I hadn't seen any mention of the python error on the mailing list so I
assumed it affected only the Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise Pangolin" version of the
package, but it would make sense that others might see the error, too.
Maybe it's just that not everyone is watching the console (as you were) or
has the crash reporter activated (as I do).

I don't know anything about your qif importer error.