help with ./autogen failure

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sat May 10 21:55:16 EDT 2014

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 8:02 PM, Anthony Della Cioppa <
adellaci at sacoriver.net> wrote:

> I attempted to install Gnucash 2.6.3 from source on a Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS
> machine. I received and error when running ./autogen
>
> configure:4799: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_NLS
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.
> **Error**: autoconf failed.

I don't know the answer (so be sure to reply to the list) but how did you
get the source? Did you retrieve it via git, or did you download the tar
file from sourceforge, or some other way?

I or someone probably needs to reorganize the wiki a little but you might
look at http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building -- it says you don't need to
run ./autogen when you are installing from the tar file. [If that is no
longer true then we need to edit the wiki.]

If you retrieved it via git, you might also check to make sure you are
retrieving the stable 2.6.3 revision and not a bleeding edge revision.