question about warning on stderr

incoming-gnucash at sabot.com incoming-gnucash at sabot.com
Sat May 10 22:10:55 EDT 2014

   To: incoming-gnucash at sabot.com
   From: Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell at gmail.com>
   Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 20:43:17 -0500
   Subject: Re: question about warning on stderr

   On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 6:28 AM, <incoming-gnucash at sabot.com> wrote:

   >    > For example, every time I run gnucash I see this emitted
   >    > around startup time:
   >    >
   >    >    Traceback (most recent call last):
   >    >      File "/usr/share/gnucash/python/init.py", line 3, in <module>
   >    >        from gnucash import *
   >    >    ImportError: No module named gnucash
   >    >    Found Finance::Quote version 1.17
   >    >
   >    This one is harmless if you don't intend to use the python bindings. I
   >    suspect This happens because gnucash' python modules are not not found
   >    by python. If these modules are not installed in python's default
   >    $PYTHONPATH, the path to them should be added instead. This suggests a
   >    configuration error in the xubuntu gnucash packages or you may need to
   >    install an additional package like gnucash-python or so. I don't know
   >    how the Xubuntu packagers decided to set this up exactly.
   >
   > I fired up synaptic and (using the default ubuntu repos) it is
   > offering me a place to check to load "python-gnucash" (not exactly
   > gnucash-python?).  Would that install the bindings, making the error
   > go away (even though I have no plan to use the bindings)?  I see the
   > version offered is 1:2.4.10-1 from the ubuntu repo, which old, I'll
   > probably need the 2.6.3-1 version from getdeb which is where I got the
   > 2.6.3 gnucash package.

   I just this evening reported this as a packaging error to the GetDeb folks.
   They compiled GnuCash with the Python bindings, so it's looking for that
   file, and you are correct, installing the python-gnucash package will make
   those errors stop (because the file is apparently in that package).

   I reported it to the GetDeb folks as a packaging error because the
   python-gnucash package is not even suggested, much less required, by the
   GnuCash package, so the package manager doesn't know to include it. As
   Geert said, it doesn't really cause any problems, except in my case it was
   randomly popping up Ubuntu's apport error reporting tool with a crash
   report that it wouldn't send anyway (because it's not an official Ubuntu
   package). SO it was annoying.

   I hadn't seen any mention of the python error on the mailing list so I
   assumed it affected only the Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise Pangolin" version of the
   package, but it would make sense that others might see the error, too.
   Maybe it's just that not everyone is watching the console (as you were) or
   has the crash reporter activated (as I do).

Great, thanks for getting to the bottom of that.  I think I did see
one of those crash report notifications on my system too, and that
notification in part was what was making me think that the console
warnings might not be entirely innocuous.

   I don't know anything about your qif importer error.

I'm not too worried about that one; I was able to imported all the
qif's I needed successfully.  I am still curious about the backtrace I
got from running my custom reports on a different account hierarchy
than the original one (details covered in earlier email, elided
above).

Now that I'm paying attention to seemingly innocuous things coming out
of gnucash such as console warnings, I do have two followup questions
on stuff I see in tmp.  The easy one first: I noticed that my tmp
directory has a copy of an html file for each report I view, names
like "gnc-report-abcdef.html".  They do not seem to get deleted
automatically by gnucash when I close the report tab or even when I
exit gnucash.  Is that how it is supposed to work; it relies on me
rebooting my machine (or some /tmp cleaning cron job) to sweep things
away eventually, or maybe gnucash deletes if older than 30 days?  Is
there a way to ask gnucash to put the files in some directory that I
specify instead of /tmp?

Second, I noticed that gnucash generates a gnucash.trace file in /tmp.
Although gnucash ran fine for me today, the trace file it left behind
has various warnings, some with "CRIT" on them.  For example, I see
many like this:

  * 08:36:15  CRIT <GLib> g_date_compare: assertion `g_date_valid (lhs)' failed

others like these:
  * 08:32:56  CRIT <gnc.gui> Object 0x26ce6a0 is already in list of GncPluginPageSxList
  * 08:38:10  CRIT <GLib> g_hash_table_lookup_extended: assertion `hash_table != NULL' failed
  * 08:38:10  CRIT <GLib> g_hash_table_foreach: assertion `hash_table != NULL' failed

And a bunch of aqbanking related warnings (though my import did not
report any errors at the gui other than possibly that there were no
transactions to download today):

  * 08:46:11  CRIT <gwenhywfar> gui.c: 1605: Progress by id 00000002 not found
  * 08:46:11  WARN <aqbanking> g_sonrs.c:   80: Ignoring element [ORIGIN.ID]
  * 08:46:11  WARN <aqbanking> g_sonrs.c:   80: Ignoring element [CUSTOMER.TYPE]
  * 08:46:11  WARN <aqbanking> g_sonrs.c:   80: Ignoring element [START.TIME]
  * 08:46:11  WARN <aqbanking> g_stmtrs.c:  117: Ignoring group [CYCLECUT.INDICATOR]
  * 08:46:11  CRIT <aqofxconnect> provider.c:  866: Error importing server response (-57)
  * 08:46:16  WARN <gnc.import.aqbanking> bal_accountinfo_cb: noted_bal == NULL.  Assuming 0
  * 08:46:45  CRIT <gwenhywfar> gui.c: 1605: Progress by id 00000002 not found

So sort of like my original question: are those CRIT and WARN messages
indicating a problem, or should I be ignoring those too?  I know, I
probably should not be digging into a trace file if the program seems
to be running fine.  My excuse: having just switched over from
quicken, I think I'm just very pleased to be using something that
isn't a complete black box and where I can look under the hood a bit!

Thanks.

--gary