Inserting transactions with debit card, cheque and prepaid card

Claudio Corti zioclaus at gmail.com
Sun May 11 12:25:40 EDT 2014

Dear GnuCash experts,

I have some doubts about how to insert expenses payed with debit card,
cheque and/or prepaid card.
I'd say that a prepaid card is an Asset, so I should first do a
transaction from my bank checking account to the prepaid card account
and then a transaction from the prepaid card account to the expenses
account, right?
But what about debit cards and cheques? They are not assets, they're
just different ways of payment and, unlike my wallet, I don't have to
transfer anything from my checking account to them.
Should I put in the transaction directly my checking account and write
in the notes if the payment was with debit card or cheque? Or is there a
better way to differentiate this kind of expenses?

Thank you very much,
Claudio