trading account, currency exchange, and cash flow - bug or misunderstanding?

gnucash.133518b at telus.net gnucash.133518b at telus.net
Tue May 13 00:51:36 EDT 2014

I'm trying to understand the treatment of Trading Accounts when
generating Cash flow reports. Either there is a bug in GnuCash 2.6.3 or
I need help with my limited accounting knowledge.

I've created (and attached) a trivial demonstration book using CAD as
the default currency. The entire transaction history includes nothing
but establishing an opening balance in two cash accounts, one containing
CAD and one USD. The exchange rate used was 1 CAD = 1 USD and there are
no other entries in the price editor but that. Keep in mind that I've
enabled Trading Accounts.

In case attachments don't work, here is the entire transaction record:

   Date        Account                         Debit   Credit
   2014-01-01
               Assets:Current Assets:CAD Cash   C$100
               Equity:Opening Balances                  C$100
   2014-01-01
               Assets:Current Assets:US Cash   US$100
               Trading:CURRENCY:CAD             C$100
               Equity:Opening Balances                  C$100
               Trading:CURRENCY:USD                    US$100

And here is the cash flow report I get:

   Selected Accounts
     Assets
     Assets:Current Assets
     Assets:Current Assets:CAD Cash
     Assets:Current Assets:US Cash

   Money into selected accounts comes from
     Equity:Opening Balances                C$150
     Trading:CURRENCY:USD                    C$50
   Money In                                 C$200

   Money out of selected accounts goes to
   Money Out                                  C$0

   Difference                               C$200

   Exchange rate
   US$1.00  C$1.00

Why does the Money In "Equity:Opening Balances" line show C$150 instead
of either the full C$200 (assuming trading accounts are ignored) or
C$100 (assuming transfers through trading accounts are not ignored)?

Why does the Money In "Trading:CURRENCY:USD Cash" line show C$50 instead
of C$100?

Why doesn't Money Out include a line for "Trading:CURRENCY:CAD Cash"?

I don't understand the asymmetric treatment of trading accounts nor the
50% factor. Can someone please explain it to me?

Carl