Inserting transactions with debit card, cheque and prepaid card

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue May 13 08:06:40 EDT 2014

>A debit card, a cheque book and a withdrawal in person are all
>different ways I can interact with a single account. The debit card and
>the cheque book are not assets in a financial sense, so this answer
>seems most logical.
>
>Liz

I might perhaps be misunderstanding the behavior of a "debit card" and
perhaps we might be talking about more than one sort of thing going by
that name. With me thinking about one and you the other.

a) A card behaving like described above (simply allowing electronic
transactions instead of paper checks) would not be a different asset
account. You'd enter the transactions just like you did with checks.

b) Going to the bank and cashing a check to put money in your wallet IS
a transfer between two asset accounts.

c) If the card behaved similarly to cash in your wallet, was for a
designated total amount, but allowed for electronic payments rather than
handing over physical money and coins then it is behaving as an asset
account as in "b". When you "refill" the card like a transfer between
checking and card.

Michael