trading account, currency exchange, and cash flow - bug or misunderstanding?

gnucash.133518b at telus.net gnucash.133518b at telus.net
Tue May 13 20:47:57 EDT 2014

On 2014-05-13 1:12 PM, Carsten Rinke wrote:
> it's because with the second transaction the selected account group gets
> 50$ from the equity account and 50$ from the trading account.

Would you please explain that in more detail, because I can't even guess
how that could be?

I see the second transaction consisting of C$100 moving from
Equity:Opening Balances to Trading:CURRENCY:CAD and US$100 moving from
Trading:CURRENCY:USD to Assets:Current Assets:US Cash. There is an
implied exchange conversion of C$100 to US$100. At no point do I see
anything happening in the amount of $50 and I do not see Assets:Current
Assets:US Cash receiving money from two sources. Where does the 50%
number come from?

Perhaps I need to reread those bug reports and message threads a few
more times, but I'm not finding my answer in there. Most of our
cross-currency transactions are trivial non-split transactions, in the
traditional sense. They are split only in terms of the trading account
necessity.

I provided a simple demonstration of the problem, but given that we do a
small percentage of US purchases for numerous expense accounts, we are
finding the cash flow report essentially useless the way it currently
works as it is producing many obviously incorrect numbers.

Carl