Inserting transactions with debit card, cheque and prepaid card

Robin Chattopadhyay robinraymn at gmail.com
Wed May 14 08:56:53 EDT 2014

At the risk of getting farther off-topic, I used to work in the electronic
payments area if a well-known bank. We would tell people to think of it
like this: "Pay ahead, pay now, or pay later."

A "debit card" or "check card" is the Pay Now element, it is a method of
accessing your own asset. As such, there is no special treatment in Gnucash
as it is just an extension of your checkbook and the asset I'm sure you
already have set up for your checking account.

A "credit card" is the Pay Later element, as you are borrowing money from
the bank at interest and paying it back over time. Obviously, this makes it
a liability in your books.

A "prepaid card" or "stored value" or "gift card" is the Pay Ahead element
where YOU are lending the bank money and withdrawing it at your schedule.
For Gnucash purposes, it is no different than a checking account and should
be treated as an asset.