Custom Multicolumn Reports

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Thu May 15 09:28:13 EDT 2014

On 15 May 2014, at 00:47, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us> wrote:

> On May 14, 2014, at 9:38 AM, Michael Hendry <hendry.michael at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 16 Feb 2014, at 11:43, Carsten Rinke <carsten.rinke at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Wes,
>>>
>>> I have seen similar behaviour with GnuCash 2.6.0 on Ubuntu 12.04.
>>
>> …and I’ve just come across it while producing Multi Column Balance Sheet and Profit & Loss Reports.
>>
>> I’m using GnuCash 2.6.1 on my iMac, with OS X Version 10.9.2.
>>
>> It’s possible to reinvent the necessary reports, but after an apparently successful Save As before the end of a session, the report generates an error message during a subsequent GC session.
>>
>> I notice that if I hover the mouse pointer over the “Save Report As” button, I’m told it will “Add the current report’s configuration to the ‘Preconfigured Reports’ menu. The report will be saved in the file ~/.gnucash/saved-reports-2.4.”. There is no such directory or file on my iMac.
>>
>> I’m not sure if Wes Metz logged this as a bug, or if it might already have been fixed in a more recent version, but this particular thread seems to have gone to sleep.
>
> If you're using the Gnucash.app bundle from our web site, the file is in ~/Library/Application Support/gnucash/saved-reports-2.4.

Thanks, John and Geert.

I am indeed (now) using the 2.6.3 bundle, and the saved-reports-2.4 file is as described above. I stuck with 2.6.1 until I came across a bug that affected me, as there seemed to be a lot of activity on the list relating to this and subsequent versions.

I’m not sure if the inaccurate hover-help on “Save Report Configuration” and “Save Report Configuration As...” buttons qualifies as a bug - it strikes me that it might be better to store the file in ~/.gnucash/ on Macs as well as on the various other Unix-like OSes.

Michael