Gnucash upgrade not working

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu May 15 11:36:19 EDT 2014

geert at telenet.be> wrote:
> > I have quickly scanned the gnucash github repository. I can't even
> > find how to download a tarball to check this myself...
>
> Not exactly a tarball, but there's a "Download ZIP" button on the
> right of the page, under the "Clone in Desktop" one. If you click on
> the "Releases" link in the banner line above the directory list it
> takes you to a page which lists each tag along with a link to get a
> zip or a tarball.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Thanks. Found it now.

And for the record: the BUILDING_FROM_SCM override doesn't work.
Configure will get past the error Kevin first encountered but make will
fail later when it tries to extract version information from git. Since
the tarballs don't supply this information the build fails.

So there are only two ways to build gnucash as Derek already noted:
- From the *official* tar balls found on the gnucash webpage
- By cloning the git repository

Geert