Register - transfer field & hidden accounts

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Thu May 15 13:10:26 EDT 2014

On 15 May 2014, at 15:50, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Michael Hendry <hendry.michael at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Rather than change the name, I move closed accounts into an account
>> called Assets:Current Assets:Closed Accounts.
>>
>> No doubt there are other ways…
>
> Yep, just mark the account both Hidden and Placeholder.  That's really
> all you need to do.

This has implications if you’re producing (as I have done recently) a three-column Balance Sheet Report for 31/03/12, 31/03/13 and 31/03/14.

I use a savings account for cash which might be needed quickly, and these accounts commonly offer a reasonable introductory rate of interest, dropping after a year to a paltry rate - so naturally I close the old account and open a new one.