Payment Assignment

Frank Santoro frankvsantoro at gmail.com
Tue May 20 12:03:12 EDT 2014

Alun Champion-2 wrote
> Mac OSX, Gnucash 2.6
>
> I'm trying to understand assignment of Payments to Invoices.
> I've assigned Payments to Invoices 2 ways.
> 1) Process Payment (or Edit:Assign as Payment) -> Select Document
> (Invoice). Result: Payment transaction + link lot transactions.
> 2) Process Payment (no invoice selected), View Lots -> Assign Lots
> (scrub). Result: Payment transaction + no link lot transactions. It
> looks like the Invoice is correctly assigned, as it doesn't appear for
> the next payment.
> ad
> So a couple of quick questions:
> Are there any reasons for not doing it via option 2, which keeps the
> A/R account much cleaner?
> Why do the link-lot transactions not appear via option 2?

There is an earlier thread in January titled ""Internal Lot Links" mess in
Accounts Receivable" that addresses the new Business Payment Processing
functionality.  Basically it has to do with the credit memo ability added in
2.6.  The additional transactions added into the A/R ledger when applying
payments is just a by-product of that.

Anyhoo, you probably shouldn't be using the View Lots / Assign Lots (scrub)
function to assign an existing payment to an invoice (that function really
has to do with securities transactions).  Instead, navigate to the
"pre-payment" in the A/R ledger, right click on the transaction and select
"Assign as Payment" from the context menu.  That takes you back to the
Process Payment dialog and then if you enter a customer name/number, you
should get a list of open invoices and unapplied payments and can choose an
invoice to apply the payment against.  If you use this method, the
additional entries will appear in the A/R ledger.

Cheers
Frank (a long-time GnuCash user but possibly first-time list responder)