Editing transaction Account after its posted/paid

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu May 22 03:46:32 EDT 2014

On Wednesday 21 May 2014 19:40:52 Thomas Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using GnuCash 2.6.3.
>
> From time to time, I go over my accounts and reports to ensure that
> everything has been entered into its proper account and, if not, I
> like to edit the transactions to put them into more appropriate
> accounts.
>
> I'm fairly new to GnuCash and am attempting this now for the first
> time since I began using it earlier this year.
>
> As yet, I've not found a way to edit a transaction's account after
> it's been posted and/or paid. I know that I can unpost or unpay
> transactions to do this, but that can be a fair bit of work versus
> simply changing the account.
>
> Is it possible to change the account after a transaction has been
> posted and/or paid?

No and that is by design. The transactions are generated by the business
logic. If you want to change the transactions you will have to unpost
the associated bill/invoice first. This is done so to avoid
inconsistencies and accidental changes.

Note that in 2.6 when you unpost a bill the link with the payment will
be lost. You can restore after reposting the bill by selecting the
payment transaction and then use "Assign as payment".

Geert