gnucash and X window forwarding problem

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat May 24 10:05:36 EDT 2014

At Sat, 24 May 2014 09:23:40 -0400 incoming-gnucash at sabot.com wrote:

> I sometimes run gnucash (v2.6.3 from getdeb, running on Ubuntu
> precise) remotely, by doing "ssh -X" to the machine where I run
> gnucash.  Gnucash seems to open up some tunnels that it never closes.
> As a result, after I exit gnucash, when I try to exit the ssh it hangs
> and I have to ^C kill the ssh to wrap things up.
>
> By typing "~#" at the ssh I can get some diagnostic info demonstrating
> the issue.  In the fresh ssh, before launching gnucash, I see this:
>
>     $ ~#
>     The following connections are open:
>       #4 client-session (t4 r0 i0/0 o0/0 fd 8/9 cc -1)
>
> So just 1 connection, the session itself.  Then I start gnucash, and
> it opens its window (and possibly the Since Last Run SX window), and
> ssh now tells me about 3 other connections opened by gnucash (or
> indirectly by some library it is using):
>
>     ~#
>     The following connections are open:
>       #4 client-session (t4 r0 i0/0 o0/0 fd 8/9 cc -1)
>       #5 x11 (t4 r4 i0/0 o0/0 fd 11/11 cc -1)
>       #6 x11 (t4 r5 i0/0 o0/0 fd 12/12 cc -1)
>       #7 x11 (t4 r6 i0/0 o0/0 fd 13/13 cc -1)
>
> When I exit gnucash, it closes only 1 of those three new connections,
> so I have this:
>
>     $ ~#
>     The following connections are open:
>       #4 client-session (t4 r0 i0/0 o0/0 fd 8/9 cc -1)
>       #6 x11 (t4 r5 i0/0 o0/0 fd 12/12 cc -1)
>       #7 x11 (t4 r6 i0/0 o0/0 fd 13/13 cc -1)
>
> Is this a known problem, or is it somehow specific to my setup?
> Pending getting to the bottom of it, is it "safe" to run gnucash
> remotely, or do I risk causing some file corruption when I ^C because
> some remnant of gnucash is still alive and not done with its work?

I do something similar under CentOS 5 (using gnucash-2.2.9-5.el5) and don't
seem to have any problems.  My GnuCash data file(s) are on my desktop machine
(sauron) and sometimes I use my laptop to connect over my household LAN, using
this command:

ssh -f -n -q sauron.deepsoft.com gnucash /home/heller/Finances/Checking2005/Jan2005.xac

Gnucash shuts down cleanly (as far as I can tell).

Both the laptop and the desktop run CentOS 5.  I *don't* use the the (default)
GNome desktop (nor do I use the KDE desktop either).  I run a 'bare' X11 with
FVWM in MWM mode.