gnucash and X window forwarding problem

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat May 24 12:27:19 EDT 2014

On 24 May 2014, at 07:20, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> More likely it is gconfd, since the Splash Screen, the Since Last Run window
> would all be handled with the same X11 connection as the main display.  Unless
> the program is doing something really odd, any given X11 client only makes one
> connection to the X11 server, no matter how many windows (toplevel or
> otherwise) are created.  That is, there is only one (lowlevel) XOpenDisplay()
> call (somewhere in the depths of the Gtk library, probably somewere in
> gtk_init).

Yes, one would certainly hope that GnuCash would handle everything in a single X11 connection. But why would gconfd need one at all?

There's only one place where XOpenDisplay() is called (in gdk/x11/gdkdisplay.c), but there are several places in gtk/gtkmain.c that lead to there. I don't have time to do the analysis in detail to work out all of the paths to see if more than one of them is exercised.

Regards,
John Ralls